3 Things to Know About Auto Body Repairs for Your EV
If you own an electric vehicle that needs a minor dent fix or major collision repairs, it’s important to understand that you can’t take your automobile to just any auto body repair shop. Why not? Because not every independent collision repair center is equipped to perform repairs on electric vehicles. And if you go to one of those shops for an estimate, you’ll likely get turned down.
Although electric vehicles have been on the road for more than a decade, many shops and technicians have little to no experience working on them. That’s why knowing what to look for in an electric vehicle auto body repair shop and estimate is so important.
If you’re in the market for EV auto body repairs, read on to learn three things you need to know before you select a shop.
1. It’s Normal for EV Repairs to Cost a Bit More
According to a report published by CCC Intelligent Solutions, a technological leader in the automotive industry, auto body repairs for electric vehicles cost an average of 3% more than those for their fuel-powered counterparts.
If you’re getting ready to get repair estimates for your EV, be prepared for quotes that are a little higher than what you may be used to.
2. Auto Body Repairs for Electric Vehicles May Require Less Time
According to that same report, body repairs for EVs don’t require quite as much time as those for gasoline vehicles. On average, EV repairs take about 22 hours of labor (which of course, factors into the total cost of your auto body repair service), compared to nearly 26 hours for fuel-powered automobiles. When you get estimates, remember this.
If your EV only has minor denting, it may qualify for paintless dent repair, which requires even less time.
3. What Should You Look for in Auto Body Repair Shop for EVs?
Although lots of collision repair shops aren’t yet ready to work on electric vehicles, many forward-thinking shops have already added EV repair services to their offerings. Here’s what you’ll want to keep an eye out for when getting estimates and deciding which shop to trust with your repairs:
● Technician training. Don’t hesitate to inquire about the type of EV repair training the technicians have undergone. Electric vehicles have vastly different repair needs than gasoline vehicles, which makes specialized training necessary.
● ADAS recalibration. Most, if not all, electric vehicles have multiple ADAS features, and the sensors and cameras that allow those features to work properly must be recalibrated after body work. Make sure the shops you’re considering offer this service.
● Customer reviews. It’s always in your best interest to browse online reviews from previous customers to see if any of them have had an electric vehicle repaired at the shop. If you find a shop that has performed several EV repairs to customers’ full satisfaction, it’s a safe bet.
Schedule Auto Body Repairs for Your Electric Vehicle in the Twin Cities
Looking for an auto body repair shop that can work on your electric vehicle? Look no further than our team at Minnetonka Collision Center! At our highly advanced collision-repair center, we specialize in repairs for both standard and specialty vehicles, including high-end, luxury automobiles and electric vehicles. Whether you’re in need of a major dent fix or something more minor like paintless dent repair, our expert technicians have you covered!
To get a repair quote or schedule an appointment, call us today at 763-230-7805 or request a free estimate online, and we’ll get in touch.
Comments are closed for this post, but if you have spotted an error or have additional info that you think should be in this post, feel free to contact us.